• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Robbeh

Robbeh

Pirate King

• Administrators
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 23:48

Dusting off ye ole forums with an update for you lurkers...

PG now has a Discord server!
https://discord.gg/0lJ3jt5TUZMLLPEw

App Downloads: https://discordapp.com/apps

Apparently its what all the cool kids are doing these days... Use this for casual (gaming) hookups and chatting shit with all those old PG members you vaguely remember!

It supports chat and voice, works on web, windows, mac, IOS and Android so you should be able to hook it up in which ever way is most convenient. If usage picks up we may look at better integration with the website for member auth etc...

Key features:
- Voice chat: Join voice channels and chat with your group
- Real-time messaging: Share video, images, and text in rich chat
- Ingame Overlay: Manage voice and text chat while ingame
- Push notifications: Never miss a thing with @mentions and direct messages
- Instant Invite: Easily add friends to your voice server by sharing the Instant Invite link
- Direct messages: Send one-to-one private messages
- Multiple server support: Manage all your game chat groups in one client
- Organizable channels: Keep discussions on topic through structured communication

Chuck any requests/suggestions in this thread and we will see what we can do...

Edited by Robbeh, 13 January 2016 - 18:04.
Fixed the invite link

• Emphasition likes this

PeterFinger.gif

#2 Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard

DayZ Officer

• Officers
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationHorsens, Denmark

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:35

TL;DR: the app is gathering info and selling to third parties while Discord has no responsibility for what your personal information is used for. The app is cancer, the browser version should be fine.

I personally don't use Discord as they own all info they gather from your system and sells it to third parties, while abandoning all responsibility for your personal information. It's all in their privacy rights, which they for over a year has been claiming is an outdated version which was simply copy-pasted from a flunked app they made in the past, and is "gonna change in near future" (only it never changes, apart from a slight change of wording a while back).

The program when downloaded automatically sets itself to launch at start-up, and when closed still has a process running in the background (apart from the push-notifier) - meanwhile it clearly states in their ToS that they can rightfully gather any non-sensitive information from users and sell them to third-parties (so anything that isn't mails with lawyers/doctors, nude photos, or credit card/bank information). To me that's a major red flag - especially given how much of my time is spent on the PC, so I uninstalled immediately and won't be installing again. I'm fine with using the browser version, though - so I'll visit through that. Just figured I'd at least throw what I found a while back about Discord in there for the rest of you, as constant information gathering on the PC of a nerd is not an insignificant amount of information - it's a scary amount of information.

• Scottishwarrior likes this

#3 Foamz

Foamz

Carebear Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:53

Looks like they changed their privacy policy back in September; looks like they now just store pretty standard analytics stuff and error logs. Of course analytics likely includes every click in the app buuuut that's pretty standard these days (all hail our big-data overlords) and they have an opt-out in their privacy policy for some stuff if you need it. Gathering of non-sensitive information isn't in the policy any more so great success there. Gave the app a quick run through Process Monitor and couldn't see it doing anything major... it does scan through running processes but that's going to be for the 'now playing' feature. You can turn off the launch at startup now via a right click on it's icon in the system tray, and once closed (again via system tray) there are no background processes running.

Web app is a safe bet if you're worried about it tho, at least that's guaranteed to not upload yer noodz to imgur. Think there's even a Chrome app version of it in case you want the app without the app.

It is collecting every message you send via it though (for obvious reasons) so maybe no passwords in chat just in case ;)

• Skafsgaard likes this

#4 Robbeh

Robbeh

Pirate King

• Administrators
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 13:38

Aye their privacy policy is about the same as Steams these days, not too much to worry about unless you are planning your next durka durka attack in a side channel. ;)

Looks like they are going after the twitch/youtube subs communities rather than data farming to make their $$$.

If you are of the tinfoil then the mobile/web apps are pretty much as functional as the main app, the main thing you will lose is the ingame overlay and that is still in beta anyway at the moment.

Discord looks like the best way to keep the "community" side of PG alive until such point that one of us retires/wins the lottery and can afford to no life the event organization and management again. :P

It will also be a good backup should the teamspeak server end up going offline at any point in the future.

• Skafsgaard likes this

PeterFinger.gif

#5 Danneh

Danneh

Pirate God

• Administrators
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 16:10

I'm up in the sunny Scotland again, in ze mountains! Looking forward to checking this out on my return, nice work lads! 

Your support on my pages are appreciated: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube & Twitch!

Latest video: Pirate Gaming's Glorious Guild Wars 2 Team

#6 Robbeh

Robbeh

Pirate King

• Administrators
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 18:00

https://discordapp.com/apps

Get hooked up!

PeterFinger.gif

#7 GerryTheLeper

GerryTheLeper

Honorary Member

• Honorary Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 January 2016 - 19:29

unless you are planning your next durka durka attack in a side channel.

I'm out.  :???:

Posted Image

#8 Robbeh

Robbeh

Pirate King

• Administrators
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 00:48

I'm out.  :???:

You were on the list before there even was a list mate. ;)

PeterFinger.gif

#9 Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard

DayZ Officer

• Officers
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationHorsens, Denmark

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:45

Sounds good, I'll give it another go in that case! :)

#10 Andx

Andx

Quoth, The Raven

• Honorary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationD:\Saxony\Lugau

Posted 31 January 2016 - 14:23

how are they paying for their stuff? if the thing is free and they dont gather data to sell? lots of ads?

"... but how we survive, is what makes us who we are.."

#11 Robbeh

Robbeh

Pirate King

• Administrators
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 17:51

https://discordapp.com/partnersBasically

PeterFinger.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!